You may have heard some great some things about in-clinic chemical peel treatments, which promise deep exfoliation. The good news is you can try chemical peels at home now, and these peels are as safe, if not as strong. You can check här to find the best chemical peels in the market, but before that, here is a look at the basics.
What is a chemical peel?
As the name suggests, a chemical peel basically exfoliates your skin, removing the dead skin cells and allowing for skin regeneration. Contrary to what some people may think, at-home chemical peels are actually gentle on the skin, and while you will need to take considerable care of your skin after the treatment, these are often safer than some of the physical scrubs.
Finding the right product
If you check online stores for chemical peels, you will find a wide range of options, each one having that one ‘miracle’ ingredient. If you are new to at-home peels, we recommend that you look for superficial chemical peels, which don’t work beyond the topmost layer of your skin, called the epidermis. These are light on the skin and typically contain a mild acid, such as AHA (alpha hydroxy acid), or salicylic acid. In medium-strength peels, you will find acids like Glycolic acid in high percentage, and there is also a third category called the deep peels, which contain ingredients like trichloroacetic acid.
Things to remember
- No two chemical peels are same, so do your homework. Make sure to read the label and start with a peel that’s mild.
- You have to do a patch test for any skincare product that you use, and chemical peels are no different.
- If you are trying a chemical peel for the first time, go for an AHA or BHA peel, which are great and can be used for skin types.
- Do not use any harsh scrub or cream on your face after using a peel. Allow the skin to heel for at least 72 hours, and if you are stepping out, use a sunscreen.
- You don’t really need to prep your skin for using a chemical peel, but ensure that you clean your face thoroughly and pat dry.
Check online now to find more on chemical peels, and don’t forget to check online stores for the best deals and discounts. There is nothing like having flawless skin, without an expensive trip to the salon!